Friday, September 07, 2007

Baby Shower Goodies

My friend Shannon requested cookies and a cake for a baby shower she was hosting. Here is what I came up with. The cake is a yellow sponge cake with lemon curd ( my favourite filling) and buttercream icing. I really didn't want to use fondant, but it was so humid that the butter in the icing was getting melty as I worked. Lesson number 1: One o'clock in the morning is not a good time to decorate cakes! Still need to work on lettering.....


Idea for decorating these comes from Peggy Porschen's Pretty Party Cakes

Vanilla sugar cookies with Royal Icing.





7 comments:

Rebecca said...

These are gorgeous. Makes me want to fire up my new kitchenaid mixer.

But, I'm telling you. My mom did 3 and 4 tier wedding cakes in July in Mississippi and the heat wasn't much of an issue with working the icing. Maybe I need to send you her recipe because it was great in July even with our 98 degree heat and 90% humidity.

I need to get out some of my old cake pictures.

Hollie said...

those cookies are beautiful! Where the heck does one get a buggie cookie cutter?

Anonymous said...

Hollie has a good question there.Gorgeous as always !

Tam said...

Rebecca, you should definitely put that machine to good use, I love mine and I'd LOVE a recipe tested in true heat/humidity.

Ebay as always!!!! although I am looking at a place in Richmond Hill, ON called Creative Cutters for some new ones.

Jarman said...

Baby Center, Babies R Us, BabyAge...age are some of the good baby stores at CouponAlbum site.

Anonymous said...

These cookies look soft & scruptous. Did you make the icing yourself?

I am hosting a baby shower this Saturday and needed some ideas with decorating the baby bottle cookies. I found my cookie cutters at a local specialty bake shop.

http://www.bakingstuff.com/

Amazon also sells them.

Dallas Snow Removal said...

Nice post thanks for sharing