Monday, January 18, 2010

Lunch


It can be hard to cook properly when the kitchen's been all dismantled and there are drop cloths everywhere, but I was tired of making pasta packets (hello and goodbye to creamy parmesan) so Lentils and Rice it is. Doesn't sound so appealing? oh but the flavour. I was out of white basmati which really makes this yummy but brown rice also satisfies my need for something healthy after all the preservatives.
This is a variation on Mujadra which is why it has burnt onions on top and is served with some tzatziki.

Lentils and Rice

1/3 cup butter - yes you can use olive oil if you prefer
Large sweet onion, half cut into slices, the other chopped
1/2 cup lentils soaked over night. here I used du puy lentils
2 tbsp cumin - yes it seems like a bit, I probably put in closer to 3 tablespoons
chopped garlic - use however many cloves you like, I use a lot
1 cup rice
2 cups chicken or veg stock
salt and pepper to taste
I add a pinch of chilli flakes as well
because they go in most things I cook

saute chopped onions and garlic in a couple of tablespoons butter. Add lentils and rice, sauteeing until rice is translucent. Add cumin and other spices and then the stock. When mixture has come to a boil, turn heat down to low and cover. Let cook until rice is tender about 25 mins (longer for brown). While rice is cooking, saute the sliced onions in butter until deep golden brown almost burnt. Top your rice with onions and serve with tzatzki or raita. heaven

1 comment:

kelly said...

This looks delicious. I also love your photo of the onions and chopsticks, nice shot. I am going to make this. I am really feeling inspired by your blog right now.