Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cakes!

This is my latest cake for my lovely friend Julia whose birthday is actually today. I still need to work on my lettering, I think I really cannot skip the piping gel for it. I was happy with the little flowers and the Bay leaves. It was so hot that day that I couldn't do the proper smoothing as the cake stayed sticky no matter what. I know that fondant is a good choice on a day like that, but I just couldn't bring myself to use it. One of these days I will try this famous 'Marshmallow' fondant I keep reading about that is supposed to taste good. As per usual, I used the Martha Stewart recipe for Lemon Curd to fill the cake. I think I'd like to try it with limes and then do a coconut cake. um.....breakfast.....


These are some past cakes for a yummy recap:









3 comments:

Hollie said...

I can only imagine how hard writing on a cake is when my own handwriting looks like crap. Its beautiful Tamara, I am now intrigued by marshmellow fondant too.....mmmm!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cake ! Your friend must be so happy she received a cake like this for her Birthday.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful!

I've never had a problem with the heat.... and I live in Mississippi. It usually makes the icing thinner and easier to smooth. I just take a very flat metal spatula and dip it in very very hot water and smooth the icing. Between the hot metal of the spatula and the water, it glides across the frosting and smooths it perfectly.